Birth Story:
All day Sunday October 9th I wasn't feeling that great. I had a constant headache, and on occasion started to see spots in my peripheral vision. I could tell that something wasn't right but I kinda put it off as just being impatient. I had my neighbor come check my blood pressure and it was 160/104. I took a nap and then after I woke up I still had a headache and my face especially around my eyes and hands were super swollen. I called my Dr. and immediately she said to go into triage to get a closer look at me. This was around 9:00 pm. Once we got up there and checked into triage my blood pressure was higher 178/96. I had clonus in my feet and hyper-reflexes in my legs. They trended my blood pressure for a little while and then called Dr. Maybauch. They gave me the run down of all possibilities of things that could happen. Sure enough as soon as they called her she told them to start me on Magnesium and that they were going to induce me (start Pitocin). I was 37 1/7 weeks so they figured better out then in. I was starting into preclampsia. Once they started talking about the possibility of seizures increase during labor with my blood pressure being so high then I started to get nervous. I was ready for this baby to be born, I just wasn't expecting it to happen like this. They asked me about pain control during labor and told me that my Dr. would recommend the epidural because it helps decrease the blood pressure. I wasn't apposed to this option but was extremely terrified. I decided that the epidural would probably be the best because I was scared of having seizures and what would happen if those started in. I had a great nurse -Nikki- who explained everything so thorough and she made me feel a little more at ease the whole way through. I tell you the nurse either makes or breaks the whole experience. She definitely made mine amazing.
I was dilated to a 4 and about 60% effaced. Dr. Maybauch came in and broke my water around 10:30 pm and then shortly after they came in to give me the epidural. Honestly this was the worst part of the whole thing. I had terrible anxiety over getting it I was honestly in tears. Luckily Sean was there to hold my hand the whole time and let me squeeze when I was terrified. I have had natural births before so this was something new to me and something I thought I would never experience. Allison was the anesthesiologist and was awesome. I couldn't have picked a better one. She walked me through step by step and explained everything I would be feeling. Amazing - she was amazing!!
Once the epidural was in they started to really increase the pitocin to get things started. I could tell I was having contractions but they weren't painful :) Bonus for sure! Sean and I were able to watch Legally Blond and half of Transformers 2. We were able to talk and joke around. It was a much more pleasant experience for both of us this time. I wasn't out of control in pain and was able to enjoy being with Sean! I started to shake which I have done with all of them and knew it was getting close. My nurse went on break for lunch and then I started feeling a lot of pressure. The nurse watching for her checked me and I was complete! My nurse got back just in time to start pushing. This is when the hard work begins. This is one of the biggest differences between natural birth and having the epidural. With natural the hard work in laboring once you start pushing it is a huge relief and honestly helps to be doing something besides hurting. With the epidural labor is easy and then pushing is hard work. You go from doing nothing to having to really put your back into it. Not bad just different. My left leg was really numb but I could feel my right really well - I think it was from the way he was positioned. It made it kinda nice to push with though because I knew when a contraction was coming and could really push through it. I pushed for 20 minutes before the arrival of GRANT and 0255 am. They were able to place him right on my chest and do everything right there. It was great; he came out perfect and screaming just like I like it! What a different experience for sure. Sean loved this way a lot more then natural. He was a lot more at ease and didn't feel totally helpless this time. He says next time we will have the epidural for sure :)!
Introducing:
All day Sunday October 9th I wasn't feeling that great. I had a constant headache, and on occasion started to see spots in my peripheral vision. I could tell that something wasn't right but I kinda put it off as just being impatient. I had my neighbor come check my blood pressure and it was 160/104. I took a nap and then after I woke up I still had a headache and my face especially around my eyes and hands were super swollen. I called my Dr. and immediately she said to go into triage to get a closer look at me. This was around 9:00 pm. Once we got up there and checked into triage my blood pressure was higher 178/96. I had clonus in my feet and hyper-reflexes in my legs. They trended my blood pressure for a little while and then called Dr. Maybauch. They gave me the run down of all possibilities of things that could happen. Sure enough as soon as they called her she told them to start me on Magnesium and that they were going to induce me (start Pitocin). I was 37 1/7 weeks so they figured better out then in. I was starting into preclampsia. Once they started talking about the possibility of seizures increase during labor with my blood pressure being so high then I started to get nervous. I was ready for this baby to be born, I just wasn't expecting it to happen like this. They asked me about pain control during labor and told me that my Dr. would recommend the epidural because it helps decrease the blood pressure. I wasn't apposed to this option but was extremely terrified. I decided that the epidural would probably be the best because I was scared of having seizures and what would happen if those started in. I had a great nurse -Nikki- who explained everything so thorough and she made me feel a little more at ease the whole way through. I tell you the nurse either makes or breaks the whole experience. She definitely made mine amazing.
I was dilated to a 4 and about 60% effaced. Dr. Maybauch came in and broke my water around 10:30 pm and then shortly after they came in to give me the epidural. Honestly this was the worst part of the whole thing. I had terrible anxiety over getting it I was honestly in tears. Luckily Sean was there to hold my hand the whole time and let me squeeze when I was terrified. I have had natural births before so this was something new to me and something I thought I would never experience. Allison was the anesthesiologist and was awesome. I couldn't have picked a better one. She walked me through step by step and explained everything I would be feeling. Amazing - she was amazing!!
Once the epidural was in they started to really increase the pitocin to get things started. I could tell I was having contractions but they weren't painful :) Bonus for sure! Sean and I were able to watch Legally Blond and half of Transformers 2. We were able to talk and joke around. It was a much more pleasant experience for both of us this time. I wasn't out of control in pain and was able to enjoy being with Sean! I started to shake which I have done with all of them and knew it was getting close. My nurse went on break for lunch and then I started feeling a lot of pressure. The nurse watching for her checked me and I was complete! My nurse got back just in time to start pushing. This is when the hard work begins. This is one of the biggest differences between natural birth and having the epidural. With natural the hard work in laboring once you start pushing it is a huge relief and honestly helps to be doing something besides hurting. With the epidural labor is easy and then pushing is hard work. You go from doing nothing to having to really put your back into it. Not bad just different. My left leg was really numb but I could feel my right really well - I think it was from the way he was positioned. It made it kinda nice to push with though because I knew when a contraction was coming and could really push through it. I pushed for 20 minutes before the arrival of GRANT and 0255 am. They were able to place him right on my chest and do everything right there. It was great; he came out perfect and screaming just like I like it! What a different experience for sure. Sean loved this way a lot more then natural. He was a lot more at ease and didn't feel totally helpless this time. He says next time we will have the epidural for sure :)!
Introducing:
Grant Charles West
Born 10/10/11 at 0255 am
Weight 7lbs 14oz
Length 19 1/2 inches
OFC 13 3/4 inches
We tried to get the boys pictures together. Sam was too busy looking at all the cool equipment.
He has the same birth mark that I have right between my eyes. They say they fade over time, but when he gets mad or upset you will notice it. That is exactly what happens with mine. Only time will tell just how much it fades.
Isn't he precious! Instant love for this little guy!
Getting ready to come home. He doesn't want to leave. :) We had to stay the full 48 hrs because they wanted to watch my blood pressure closely. It felt like we were there forever. I was ready to leave. I missed my other two boys.
2 comments:
He's perfect Kim!! You are such a trooper with the struggles you seem to face during your pregnancies. I'm glad little Grant is here and that he is healthy. I pray they will get your bp under control soon and that you will be back on your feet in no time. Love y'all lots
I was thinking that you did end up with an epidural with Carter, or did they just do the intrathecal (quick shot in the back that lasts 2 hrs?) Anyway, glad you went in...that comment on facebook about your swelling had me worried! He's super sweet and fits right in with your family! Congrats to you and Sean!!
Post a Comment