Thursday, October 23, 2008

Economy what...

I know, I know all we hear about every time we turn on the TV, the Radio, anything really is all about Politics and the turning economy. Wow is all I can say. It is so overwhelming to me. I know that we are in trying times right now, and with the Presidental Election I am not sure it is going to get any better. My bishop gave a fabulous talk 2 weeks ago in sacrament meeting that has really gotten me thinking. He talked about how we need to be prepared for anything that comes are way and how if we have food storage and a cash money supply that when a crisis comes and you have a turn for the worse then the churches resources will be of greater value to you because you have done your part already and they can help with the other everyday resources that you forget you need. It was very powerful and hit me real hard for some reason. I am not too worried about us right now we are in a pretty good way with both of us working me being a nurse talk about job security people will always get sick and have babies!! But we still need to be prepared for anything that might happen, not just a job loss. I have finally started to think more about finances and budgeting money out every month and creating our little "worse comes to worse fund"! You know the things we have heard about time and time again. It is funny because I have all the sudden found a great love in making things, okay not necessarily cooking (my one downfall right now) but carter some pjs, pillow cases, crafts, etc. It is fun to create something and know that you did it!! I decided that I have until the end of the month to buy all the toy purchases and then I am going to cut back and start my budget with a fresh new month. Anyhow I have started to see the truth in listening to the Prophet and Apostles voices and taking there words seriously! I think that once you have a family that you are in charge of you find a whole new perceptive on life. Carter and Sean have become very important to me and I want to do whatever I can to make them happy and to have a wonderful life. I am so grateful for having a testimony of this gospel and that we have guidance from others to help us when times are like this. I think a lot of time people just push the warnings out of there minds and then when something drastic happens bam what do we do now. So yeah that is my lesson I guess I am getting at: head the counsil and be prepared! That is my two bits for the night.

4 comments:

JoJo said...

Great thoughts! I decided recently that it is definitely time for me to take food storage seriously. We should chat about this...

Amber said...

Hm, I'm not the only one then. I was so glad when Broulim's had their Case Lot Sale, b/c getting food storage had really been bugging me and on my mind all the time. Now I'm feeling a little bit better about our crashing economy.

It's nice to have my prompting reaffirmed by someone else.

Chelsi said...

Kim - I am glad you found our blog! I have been feeling the same way about food storage and our finances. There is nothing like turning on the news for a reality check.

I also love your lines about creating things...did you catch the last Releif Society broadcast? Uchtdorf gave a great talk about just that...

Fun to keep in touch with you!

Starla said...

For the last year I have felt a HUGE need to get my food storage. I stocked up and now I feel so much better. Everyone that comes over always says, "wow, got enough food, whoa check out all that flour!" (b/c it is all stacked in our dining room :o) I am so grateful I have it now with food prices going up, it saves me grocery money! We miss you guys and are excited for Thanksgiving!