Friday, December 17, 2010

Backpacking Labor Day Weekend 2010

My disclaimer: I really should not be the one to write this post. Let me just say DO NOT go backpacking with a 2 month old on one of the coldest weekends. By the third time in first night I ended up in tears, I realized it was chalked up as one of those really great experiences that someday I will learn what I was taught by it. I had a really negative attitude from the get go and to be honest it never got better.

We went with Sean's brother Jeff and his family. They have some tough kids, Chase age 6 was caring close to 20 lbs on his back alone. I carried around 35 lbs plus Sam for the first half mile or so. I wanted to quite after that. This was my first exercise I had since Sam was born and ended up being a lot more difficult than I wanted. We got started a little later than planned so we ended up having to hike in the dark. The first mile was straight up hill which meant the last mile and half was down hill (bonus)!

We did a lot of fishing. Kirstin was the only one who caught anything. That was all Carter wanted to do. We had a hard time getting the fishing pole out of his hands.


Home Sweet Home!


This was Sam pretty much the whole time all bundled up! His facial expression says it all!

Caring fire wood. We lived by the fire. Our only source of warmth!

Spencer and BC. They have a great relationship together!

Fishing! Carter new found love!


The Whole Gang!

The Jeff West Clan!

Our little family! It really was a pretty spot to hike into.

This may have been the only smile on my face the whole weekend! I was so relieved to be done and heading home! I did like backpacking - but not with a new born, who is breastfeeding, no chairs to sit on, not sleeping at night and it being freezing cold! Wow what a weekend. I love my husband for being understanding and some what patient with me. The one good thing was that Carter had a good time with his cousins and loved running in the woods!

No comments: