Thursday, October 15, 2009

Primary Program 2009

On Sunday we had our ward primary program. Everyone in the LDS church knows that this is one of the favorite days in sacrament meeting! It is so much fun to listen to the kids sing and shout their parts. For me it was a Sunday I have been not really dreading but lets say not looking forward to. The last two years I have been the primary pianist and have struggled to learn all the songs and play them to the best of my ability. This Sunday was no exception. I have been working really hard on these songs. I was very excited to listen to the kids sing the songs we have been working so hard on over the last year.

This year the theme was My Eternal Family. We learned some great songs. Our chorister did a great job breaking up the songs and having smaller groups sing some songs and involved individuals in the music as well. They sounded amazing. I had a little bit twisted sound being up on the stand listening to them sing but I know that the spirit was there and they testified of true things. One reason that I love music so much is that it invites the spirit into a meeting and allows it to penetrate into your heart. The last two songs we sang were I Feel My Saviors Love and Families can be Together Forever. The kids learned sign language to I Feel My Saviors Love and they did that while I played the music. The pressure was on to not mess up! My many hours of practicing paid off, I played it without mistake and it brought tears to my eyes as I listened and could see out of the corner of my eye the beauty of signing. Then when we sang Families can be Together Forever the tears started to flow. It is amazing how words so simply have such a powerful meaning. I challenge you next time you hear those two songs sit and really listen to the words. They are beautiful!

After it was all said and done I looked out at my little red headed family and just smiled! Their support and love brings me great joy! I am very grateful that our family is eternal and we made those covenants to be together forever in the temple!! What a great blessing it is in our lives!

6 comments:

JoJo said...

I'm sorry I missed it! I'm glad all your hard work paid off.

TJay and Jenni said...

You are so amazing Kim. Way to go. Love ya!

Kurt and Michelle said...

I Feel My Saviors Love is my all time favorite children's song, it is so true ,the words are just so toucing. I use to be the primary pianist as well and I remember getting teary eyed during our program as well, I couldn't even see my music, luckily the Lord knows how precious his children are and it always turns out great:)

J and Ris said...

I thought you did amazing! You are such a strong part of that Primary. The pianist always gets taken for granted. Especially when they are as talented as you are. I agree with all that you said about the words of a song and how music can bring the spirit so quickly to a meeting. I loved every minute of the program. (Even more this year since I got to actually watch it from out in the audience!)

Stacie said...

I'm glad it went well. I can imagine how stressful it was. Love ya!!!

Amber said...

It's amazing to me how the Primary Program is always so touching - I guess it's just too easy to feel the Spirit when you have perfect little souls singing and speaking simple truths. Always my favorite Sunday of the year.