Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Irish in us all...


I have to do a little venting. Lately just about every time I go into a store someone stops me and says wow where did that red hair come from (meaning Carter's hair). And every time that is happens I think honestly do you not see my hair color. Then they say it is the most unusual color of red, you don't see that bright of color very often. I am not sure how to take that one. I have kind of blown it off because I have been getting it a lot but yesterday just got to me. I went back through my scrapbook and looked at pictures of me and Sean at that age and sure enough our hair is the exact same color as Carter's. Maybe the sunlight makes it a lot brighter I dunno. I had to really stop and think yesterday. I know that it is unusual to see a family of red heads but ya know that is the way it is. It amazes me how many people comment to us when we are all together about how rare we are. Honestly it doesn't bother me I have just come to realize that is what people will always think. We are unique. My mom drilled that into me growing up because ya know us red heads do get a lot of guff. I just have to brace myself for the future because I am sure that everyone of our children will go through the same name calling and teasing as we went through. I have grow to love being a red head, honestly I think I got more complements the older I got! I just hope I can instill that same love for being rare and unique into my children. To help ease my frustration I have been researching some fun facts about us!

Here are some fun facts about Redheads:
1- Less than four percent of the world population has naturally red hair. That is less than two percent in America.
2- Sixty percent of women who dye their hair do so at home. Of them twenty six percent choose to go blonde, twenty seven percent go basic brunette, and thirty percent choose to become redheads. The sale of at home red dye kits has gone up seventeen percent since the year two thousand hit.
3- The color Green tempers red. Look at a color chart. This is why redheads are taught as children to wear lots of green. As if red hair is a shameful state of being.
4- A 2002 study found that redhead are harder to sedate than any other people requiring twenty percent more anesthesia.
5- Redheads don't turn grey. Red hair turned sandy, then white. They are also found to loose their color later in life than people carrying other hair colors.

14 comments:

JoJo said...

Woo hoo! No gray hair for you!

Quinn and Michelle Benson Fam said...

What a cute family! I like Carters red hair. You've got a cute little boy!

Annalee Taylor said...

I have always thought you have gorgeous hair...boo to everyone who says otherwise! Your family pic is so cute. Seriously, how could someone look at you and wonder where Carters hair color came from? People are so dumb sometimes!

Zach, Keri, Saylor and Casha said...

So that cracks me up that people would ask you that. And heck yea to you for not having to have gray hair. Bo you have really pretty hair. I remember talking about your hair when we were younger and I am sure I was rude, so sorry, I love your hair now :) Your family pic is the cutest by the the way.

Marcy Cheney said...

You go girl!!! If people can't say anything nice, they should just keep their mouths shut. My Mom has red hair and I always loved it and secretly wished mine was red instead of "strawberry blonde". The older I get, the more blonde it gets...or maybe it's turning white, I dunno either but you're so right---It is what it is---and life goes on. You have a gorgeous family and we love and miss you guys. Hope to see you this summer.

Renée said...

What is unusual is to see such a beautiful family of redheads! That's why you stop traffic. When we sent out your wedding announcements we got so many calls and comments from friends, "We wonder what color of hair their kids will have!" Enjoy it...no one stops me anymore like they did when I had Zach and Sean with me! If they stop you, give them a pass-along card!!!!

Stacie said...

You know I have always wished I had red hair like my two sisters. When I show people our family pictures they ask how come I didn't get lucky enough to get my sisters red hair. It's all about perspective. Your hair makes you you. Love ya, Stacie

kri66 said...

My mom says give them a pass a long card... I say pull their hair and punch em in the nose! No one messes with the KIM-I-NATOR!!!

Zach and Sara said...

I love red hair, I always have. Between Zach's current red hair (only getting redder) and my baby pics and strawberry hair now I know we're bound to have a red head. How could we not be excited. Carter is adorable by the way! Love you!

Lisa said...

I can't believe people ask you where he got his red hair. Do people not think before they talk, honestly. The other day someone told me Audrey was a very cute boy--she had pigtales and was wearing pink! People are crazy. I LOVE the red hair. Probably because it is so beautiful and unique.

The Mendenhall's said...

I think you have beautiful red hair. and Carters is very handsome. Your little family is adorable.

Cisneros Family said...

Your family is adorable. I love all your red hair. Its wonderful. I hope all is well!

Bunnell's said...

Kim...Missed you Monday at volleyball. It was fun! Hope you can make it next week. I need to get your cell phone...we play off and on during the week.

Nikki

Kacie said...

Hey Kim ?this is Kacie (Hart) Hanna and I read your last post on redheads and i could sympathize because I just had a little girl with red hair and we get asked where it comes from all the time and for me at least I have no idea but I love it! I liked all the facts about redheads and I will be sure to pass them along to her! Maybe our kids will get hitched and create another family of redheads ha! jk