Tribute to my blanket!! What a great invention don't you think. A blanket that can fold into a pillow.

I have had this pillow blanket since I was 8 years old. My Grandma Cheney made it for me when I got baptized. (In fact all the grandchildren got one at sometime in our lives. What a women!) It has been on many trips in the United states. A lot of long bus rides going to softball tournaments or band trips to California. It came with me every where I went. All of my friends know it well and have seen it more often then not. The funny thing is that before I moved out of my parent house I just took it on trips and such with me but I never slept at night. When I moved out into an apartment then I started to sleep with it, kinda like a comfort measure or something. But ever since my freshman year of college it has not left my side, I sleep with it every night and put my feet into the pillow. I don't sleep as good if I don't have my blanket to put my feet into. Sean is tired of me sleeping with it, like it has a disease or something. It has seen better days as you can see in the picture. The hole where i put my feet is completely worn through. Sean makes me wash it every so often and needless to say it has finally lost its luster. The poor thing has been with me through thick and thin. I know it is funny that this is about my blanket but it was a sad day yesterday when I finally folded it up into a pillow and put it away into my hope chest. Sean told me I could cut out a square and even frame it but we would burn the rest. I told him where to stick it and said it is going in my hope chest for another day!!
Out with the old and in with the new. I finally got new material and got it all sewn together and when I went home this last week my mom quilted it for me. It turned out better than I thought. I love it! It is fun to sleep with a new blanket at night and Sean actually cuddles up to me with it now! The other night I went downstairs in my parents house and found Sean laying with it! That brought a smile to my face! 
The new blanket! :)

A close up on the pattern my mom quilted!!

11 comments:
The new one is way cute. Your mom and you did a good job. So...this post brought back many memories of that blanket...good times. I remember teasing you about it in college...low and behold I too now have a blanket I cant sleep without! Funny the things we hold on too huh! It was nice seeing you last week, I miss having you guys around. So...we should plan a trip for reals!
This post cracks me up Kim. I remember grandma giving us the same exact blanket but yours had pink tie and mine had white. I remember one night while sleeping out in grandpa and grandma's camper we got in a little fight about who's blanket was whos. I think it's because I wanted the pink..LOl.. I still have my blanket... LOVED the pillow/blanket.
This post cracks me up Kim. I remember grandma giving us the same exact blanket but yours had pink tie and mine had white. I remember one night while sleeping out in grandpa and grandma's camper we got in a little fight about who's blanket was whos. I think it's because I wanted the pink..LOl.. I still have my blanket... LOVED the pillow/blanket.
The new one turned out really cute! I want one!
Those cozies are the best. My kids all love theirs and Grandma even made one for me one year for Christmas. I still use it pretty frequently and only wish I were as crafty as you and your Mom so I could make one for my granddaughters! The new one looks great. Love you guyz...
Oh kim how I remember that blanket. Its good to know that I am not the only one still holding on to my blanket that was given to me at birth. ha ha but It makes me want to hold strong. Dan wants to get rid of it, but now that I know you have held onto yours I am keepin mine until its in shreds. Love ya kiM!
So funny! I totally had one of those blankets too that my Grana made me. I also loved to put my feet in the pillow part when I slept, they always stayed nice and toasty. Sadly I don't know where my blanket is. My mom probably "lost" it for me. I'll have to make one for my girls. I think they'd love them just as much as we did!
Bo, I love this. Oh yes we all remember that blanket. I didn't know you still had it but it cracked me up. Your new one is really cute. And I am all for the trip.
O.k. I need some kind of a pattern. I can't just make this up on my own. Can you write sizes and such of each piece and how you put it together. I want to make my girls one with matching pjs for christmas, but if I am going to do that I have to start now. And it is really not fair that you got to get yours quilted. How am I going to do that? It turned out super cute. Love ya, Stacie
I can't believe you still have that thing! :) I lost mine the summer I moved to Texas (97) I remember leaving it at the stake center and it was never found. :( I was sad about it. Sara and I had the same one only one of ours was tied with blue yarn and the other with like red. :) So we could tell them apart. How funny. Tell your mom she did a great job!
Ok so i'm slightly sad at this post. I cannot believe you finally retired your blanket. What is up with the husbands hating our blankets from our lovely grams. I seriously still sleep with mine every night. The only time I couldn't was in high school when my dad stole it from me (though he did look cute in faded red). Anway, Zach HATES the blanket. Sometimes he steals it and throws it from our loft because he knows i'm too lazy to walk down and get it. He said he is tired of it "always coming between us". I think at this point I won't retire it purly to prove my point...
Post a Comment